Harewood House (1759-1771) The Filming Location of Brideshead Revisited
The house was built between 1759 and 1771 for Edwin Lascelles, whose family had bought the estate after making its fortune in the West Indies. The house was conjointly designed by architects John Carr and Robert Adam. Much of the furniture is by the 18th century English designer Thomas Chippendale, who came from nearby Otley. Lancelot Brown designed the grounds to which Sir Charles Barry added a grand terrace in 1844. Artists Thomas Girtin and J. M. W. Turner stayed at the house many times, painting it and the surrounding countryside and landmarks, such as Plumpton Rocks which at the time was owned by the Harewood Estate.